Household Chemical Waste (HCW) Recycling
Household Chemical Waste (HCW) is a term used to describe a variety of chemical products found in a household that have toxic or hazardous characteristics. Common HCW products include, but are not limited to, cleaning products, oil based paints/varnishes, flammable liquids, automotive products, garden chemicals, personal care products, and medications. When disposed of improperly (pouring them down the drain, disposing in the garbage) these products can contaminate the groundwater and harm the environment.
SWALCO’s HCW collection program diverts HCW from the municipal waste stream by sending it to IEPA approved recycling and reuse facilities thereby reducing the volume and toxicity of our municipal waste stream. Our HCW program is a hybrid program consisting of year round public drop-off events (at our Gurnee facility) and mobile collection events (various locations throughout Lake County). This hybrid program is the first of its kind in the State of Illinois providing residents increased accessibility and year round “disposal” opportunities.
Note: SWALCO’s HCW Program is for residential waste only. No business, commercial or institutional wastes are accepted.
Residents have three ways to dispose of their HCW:
- Year-round collection events held at our permanent facility in Gurnee,
- Mobile collection events held at various locations throughout Lake County (April - November), and
- Other Illinois permanent HCW facilities.
- All aerosol products (spray paint, hair spray, etc.)
- Motor oil, antifreeze, gas, brake fluid, etc.
- Asbestos containing products
- Batteries: Lithium, NI-CAD, Metal Hydride Batteries (NO ALKALINE)
- Drain cleaners, household cleaners, metal polishes
- Driveway sealers, deck sealers and cleaners, paint removers
- Fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, insecticide
- Compact fluorescent lamps and tubes
- Solvents: Mineral spirits, kerosene, thinners, sealers
- Mercury (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
- Oil-based paints, stains, varnishes, sealers
- Pool chemicals
- Personal care products: Cosmetics, shampoos, nail polish, etc.
- Medications: Over-the-counter and prescription (people and pet)
Items Not Accepted
Residential Collection Events
The year-round program offers collections twice a month: the second Saturday of every month and the fourth Monday of every month (except December). These events are held at SWALCO's Gurnee facility, located at 1311 N. Estes Street. Please use Route 41 to Delany Road (North) to Grove (East) to Estes.
Mobile collection events take place April - November at various locations throughout Lake County.
||Household Hazardous Waste Facility
180 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville, IL
Saturdays and Sundays: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
|Chicago: Goose Island Facility
||1150 N. Branch St., Chicago, IL
Tuesdays: 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Thursdays: 2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
1st Saturday of the month: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
|Rockford: Rock River Reclamation District
||3333 Kishwaukee, Rockford, IL
Saturdays: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sundays: 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Business, Commercial, Institutional Waste Vendors
Businesses that need to dispose of chemical wastes can contact one of the following companies: