Highland Park - Neighborhood Programs
The City of Highland Park is participating as a pilot community in the Lake County Community Compost and Food Waste Reduction Grant, awarded to SWALCO by the USDA. For more information about this grant project visit the USDA Grant page.
Click Here for Additional Information
Special Note: If a holiday falls on OR before your regularly scheduled pick up day, services will be delayed one day for the remainder of the holiday week unless otherwise notified directly by your waste hauler.
Current observed holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
SWALCO hosts a variety of programs in your community
Highland Park Recycling Center
1180 Half Day Road
Highland Park, IL. 60035
Tuesdays and the first Saturday of the month.
7 am to 1 pm
Closed on Holidays.
SWALCO also hosts three other FREE Residential Electronics Collection Drop Off locations in Lake County.
Click here for more information about this program and the locations.
Other programs in or around your community
Option 1: Year-Round Public Drop Off (Appointments are Required - CLICK HERE TO MAKE ONE)
The year-round program offers collections twice a month (except December). These events are held at SWALCO's Gurnee facility, located at 1311 North Estes Street. Please use Route 41 to Delany Road (North) to Grove (East) to Estes.
Option 2: Mobile Collection Events (First Come, First Served)
Mobile collection events take place April - November at various locations throughout Lake County. Please check our website frequently for event updates. You can also Like Us on Facebook, check us out on Twitter, Linkedin and Tumblr. Plus you can sign up for the occasional newsletter. MOBILE EVENTS for 2023 are tentatively in the works, please check back soon.
Option 3: Other Illinois Permanent HCW Facilities
Click here for more information about this program.
- How do I properly dispose of sharps/needles?
- Can I get my gasoline container back?
- How do I establish service, add or replace a collection container or inquire about billing matters?
- What do I do with latex paint?
- Where do I dispose of alkaline batteries?
- How do I properly dispose of pharmaceuticals, prescriptions, medications, and supplements?
- How can I find out about future recycling events?
- Why can't I drop off my HCW at any time?
- Who is my garbage collection vendor?
- What goes in my curbside bin?