There are two ways you can participate:
- Individuals or families with just a few pairs of shoes (all types) they'd like to recycle from their home can stop by one of the drop-off locations, which include places like libraries, park districts, village halls and public works departments. Some drop-off locations operate year-round, while others sites operate on a shorter term basis, usually in the late winter and spring. Please look at the list of Year-Round Drop-off Collection Sites for the location nearest you or ask if your local workplace, library or park district is collecting during a particular time of year. If you have more than 15-20 pairs of shoes, please contact SWALCO at 847-336-9340.
- Groups or families who have a larger number of shoes or would like to collect them, should not drop off at any of the drop-off sites. Please contact SWALCO befor you begin your collection drive at 847-377-4954. Groups can register to collect any number of shoes – there is no minimum or maximum number you have to collect and it’s flexible and fun. Call us and we'll get you on board and provide all the details once you've registered!
Sign Up to Be Part of the Fun: Register Your Group or Family!
- It's an opportunity to participate hands-on in a recycling program where old shoes are given a second life, keeping literally tons of "stuff" out of our rapidly depleting landfills.
- You'll make a difference in your community that reaches beyond.
- There's a flexible timeline and no maximum number of shoes to collect; you can collect 10 or 10,000 shoes.
- Every one-all ages-can participate. Almost everyone has shoes they need homes for.
- SWALCO provides materials and resources to help.
- Your organization will be recognized.
- There are opportunities to win cool, eco-friendly prizes!
- There are ideas and activities for corporate and community Green Teams, Scouts, Schools, Youth Groups, and others.
- It's fun and it's free!
If you are a return group, please reach out for the agreement form and to let us know when you will be beginning your next collection. Some groups may decide to do a 1-3 month collection, while others may decide to collect longer. Registered groups will have an opportunity to win eco-friendly prizes and awards and will receive a special certificate.